2 Years (plus optional Foundation Year)
Alexander College diploma
Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
GCE ‘O’ Level in English or 6.5 (IELTS) or 550 (TOEFL) or equivalent
This course aims to explore the student’s area of design interest, ideas and skills whilst helping them to discover new ones. Students will discover their individual strengths by working on a series of challenging and exciting briefs which can be tailored to the student’s area of interest, from retail and corporate design, to 3D and exhibitions. Innovative solutions will be expected in response to the range of design problems encountered in these briefs. Conceptual creativity, aesthetic values and design development will be encouraged and applied throughout.
Students will be encouraged to experiment with the built environment and discover ways of manipulating internal and external spaces for a variety of uses. As well as developing their sense of spatial awareness, we promote the exploration and understanding of historical and contemporary architecture as a source of inspiration. Experience will be enhanced by links with professional design companies within the region and by working on live projects in real built environments.
During Year 1 of study students will acquire the knowledge and practical skills which will enable them to undertake challenging design problems. Creative thinking is developed through a range of small scale projects as a means of generating ideas. Construction and technology are explored, including the uses of traditional and new materials, with access to 3D workshops to develop practical skills. An understanding of the principles of colour and lighting will be gained along with design skills including orthographic drawing, communication of design ideas and 3D model making. IT facilities are available including industry standard CAD to assist with presentation of work to a professional standard.
Year 2 of study will be delivered through more complex design briefs allowing the student to apply the foundations acquired in Year 1. They will work on a range of larger scale projects choosing options of study that interest them. The result at the end of the course will be a structured portfolio of work including a variety of projects, which will aid progression to an appropriate role in the workplace or entry into higher education.
The course is distinctive because it is a challenging mix of 2D and 3D work, using computer aided design and material manipulation to develop creative ideas and solutions taught by dedicated staff. The Department has a fun, friendly atmosphere where creativity is nurtured and students and staff enjoy excellent working relationships. Interaction between students from all courses is encouraged by common projects, social events and educational visits. Interior Design students are viewed as a crucial part of a community of designers all with a common interest in Art and Design.
- to provide a course of study at diploma degree level which, through the integration of theory and practice, develops a range of intellectual and creative abilities applicable to key areas of interior design and interior architecture
- to engender in students a challenging attitude towards accepted design conventions and thereby develop a personal design vision
- to stimulate and develop an understanding of materials and technologies through experimentation and observation enabling students to become competent in the application of technology to design
- to develop a high level of skill and innovation in two and three dimensional communication of design proposals
- to develop analytical skills and apply a methodological approach to resolving design issues
- to provide an education that includes all facets of interior design with emphasis on experience and skills in theory, research, critical analysis, problem-solving, design concepts, working drawings and specifications, technology, presentation media techniques, professional business practices and procedures, and awareness of human needs in built environments.
This is an application form - not a registration form. By completing and submitting the form below you are under no obligation, you are simply giving us information which will speed up the administration process if and when you decide to register officially. Your submitted form will be reviewed and we will contact you within the next 3 business days to discuss your application. All of the information you submit here will be treated as confidential and will under no circumstances be shared with any third parties for any other purpose.If you have any questions or would prefer to apply in person, you can Contact Us to book an appointment.