3 Years (plus optional Foundation Year)
Alexander College diploma
Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
GCE ‘O’ Level in English or 6.5 (IELTS) or 550 (TOEFL) or equivalent
18 before 31st Dec of year of entry
We offer students the unique opportunity to study on one of the most well established Graphic Design courses on the island, taught by a highly committed professional teaching team. Over time the course has developed a strong reputation with its students. The lecturers on the Graphic Design team have all worked in the design industry before moving into education and have a wealth of commercial experience in all aspects of Graphic Design and a diverse range of specialist knowledge of corporate identity, advertising, magazine design, packaging and typography, combined with technical skills in design software and photography.
Years one and two encourage students to think creatively by generating ideas for a wide range of graphic design projects covering corporate identity, packaging, advertising, direct mail and other forms of print based media. Students enjoy working on these projects in a lively atmosphere in the department’s design studios and computer labs. Students learn to develop the use of visual language in solving problems and explore the relationship between words and image. Computer lessons are scheduled to enhance the studio work and contextual studies relates to industry practice and theory.
At the end of the 2nd year, some students are able to take a year out in industry to experience working, before completing their final year. They will have the opportunity to be recommended by tutors to companies for consideration. In the final year, students work on personal projects and competition briefs which are exhibited in the Final Show and contribute to their portfolio of work, ready for job interviews.
The learning and teaching strategy is designed to challenge existing methods of generating ideas and problem solving by setting briefs that stimulate creative thinking and encourage risk taking. Each brief sets out a specific design problem and will be taught through lectures, group seminars, practical demonstrations, one to one tutorials and critiques, followed by guided self-study
- to develop in students the creative and manipulative ability necessary for a professional standard of work and the potential for future employment within the subject area
- to initiate and develop professional working altitudes and method, making students aware of their personal ability and responsibility to others
- to provide students with knowledge of the historical, social and theoretical contexts of design and how they can be linked to everyday design solutions
- to develop visual and other communication skills which will enable students to confidently enter and work within the varied nature of the profession
- to develop students cultural, social and commercial awareness enabling them to identify and apply their specialist design function in the broader context of subject, community and business activities.
This is an application form - not a registration form. By completing and submitting the form below you are under no obligation, you are simply giving us information which will speed up the administration process if and when you decide to register officially. Your submitted form will be reviewed and we will contact you within the next 3 business days to discuss your application. All of the information you submit here will be treated as confidential and will under no circumstances be shared with any third parties for any other purpose.If you have any questions or would prefer to apply in person, you can Contact Us to book an appointment.