The aim of this course is to provide students with a sound, basic business education, suitable for those seeking a range of careers in industry, commerce and public administration and thus enabling them to be more successful when seeking employment. It is a well-regarded qualification for entry to Higher Education and advanced professional studies.
The Subject Business is designed to complement a number of related subjects, typically these include Accounting, Business Strategy, Consumer Behaviour, Human Resources Management and Marketing. This, combined with the learning methods utilised, will enable students to take an active part in their own learning. Course lecturers will help to generate motivation and self-reliance, which stimulates interest among students as they develop into an active group using their skills to work as a team.
Above all, this is a practical course, designed to develop the skills of students to be able to solve problems, which are likely to arise in daily work. In addition, it enables students to continue their studies since it gives entry, and in some cases exemption, to a whole range of diploma and degree courses.
Year 1 contains a critical overview of various contextual elements of Business such as marketing, accounting, human resource management, costing and budgeting. In Year 2 the focus is on the business environment and strategic business practice involving business decision-making while options pursue an analysis of globalisation and human resource implications. Throughout, the emphasis is upon critical awareness and the development of relevant business skills.
The course is structured around formal classes, seminars, tutorials and individual tuition in addition to student-centred approaches such as team exercises in research and presentation. Students will also be expected to undertake private study. Self-motivation and self-confidence within the student will be encouraged as they progress through the programme.
Students will be assessed on their course work throughout the course and will also be required to take examinations. Equal importance will be attached to the grades obtained in both and will determine the final overall percentage grade for each module.
- To provide an educational foundation for a range of administrative and management careers in business
- To provide specialised knowledge relevant to business operation marketing and finance of any company
- To enable students to make an immediate contribution in the business environment.
- To provide flexibility, knowledge, skills and motivation as a basis for future studies and career development in accounting, marketing and HR
- To develop students’ ability in managing business through the effective use and combination of the knowledge and skills gained from the different modules of the programme
- To develop a range of skills and techniques, personal qualities and attitudes essential for successful performance in business working life.