The strict lockdown measures to confine the coronavirus pandemic in Cyprus and safeguard public health will gradually be lifted in several phases by the Cyprus Government, in accordance with the recommendations of the European Commission and the World Health Organisation (WHO) – the first of these two phases will begin on 4th May and 21st May respectively. During these phases, Alexander College administration services will be available as before, and classes will continue to be conducted online until further government updates.
4th May (Phase 1)
- Small retail shops, markets, street vendors and bazaars to re-open under safety and health protocols. Department stores and shopping malls however, will remain closed until further notice.
- Organisations in the public sector (healthcare, dental services, postal service, public transport, phone/electricity/water board etc) will be open to serve but under strict social distancing rules.
- Re-opening of tourist and travel offices
- Personal exercise is permitted (jogging, swimming in the sea, bicycling etc.) outdoors, walkways in parks ( no more than two persons). Parks, playgrounds and other open spaces, will remain closed until Phase 2.
- Essential daily outings (movement) will be increased from one to three times a day which will need to be approved via the mobile text message, as before.
- The curfew will remain in place but will now start from 10:00pm until 6:00am
21st May (Phase 2)
- All restrictions on movement will be lifted
- Restaurants, cafes and bars with outdoor facilities will re-open
- Hairdressers, barbers and beauticians will re-open
- Visit to parks, open space playgrounds, squares, marinas etc. will be permitted, provided there are less than 10 persons gathered at any time.
1st June (Phase 2 continued)
- Operation and access to organised beaches will be permitted.
- Ports will begin full operation, excluding the disembarkation of passengers from cruise ships.
- Public libraries, museums, archaeological, and historical sites will reopen.
Please note, the above has been summarized to provide only the information that may be relevant to our students. You can see the full Government Press Release here: https://www.pio.gov.cy/en/press-releases-article.html?id=13439#flat